Utica College Senior Administrative Assistant, Office of Human Resources in Utica, New York
Senior Administrative Assistant, Office of Human Resources
Posting Number 2016-00587FS
Position Type Full Time
Hours/Schedule Standard Utica College business hours: 8:30am -5:00pm Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Campus Main Campus, Utica NY
Date Position Available 05/11/2018
Position Summary Information
Provides a wide range of general administrative support to the Office of Human Resources, particularly in the area of employment/recruitment. Requires thorough knowledge of departmental and college-wide operations and policies and exercises independent judgment in the absence of established procedures and discretion in the dissemination and handling of highly confidential information. Additionally, the incumbent functions as an assistant to the Vice President of Human Resources & Personnel Development. Serves as main point of contact for internal and external customers of the department.
Location Type Location Bound/Ground Required
Review begin date: 05/28/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Applicant Documents Instructions
All positions at Utica College support the College’s mission and values in part by being active members of an inclusive environment. Please describe in your diversity statement how you would see yourself incorporating this into this role.
General Office Responsibilities
• Performs office administrative duties including general correspondence, calendar management for the office, answering main HR phone line, faxing/copying as needed, filing, ordering office supplies, scheduling meetings, handling office mail, taking minutes at meetings upon request, responding to general in-person or email inquiries (email that comes through main HR account in addition to inquiries to personal email).
• Processes payment/requisitions for advertising and as needed for other vendors.
• Prepares and drafts all employee correspondence including but not limited to new hire letters and letters related to changes in employment status (change of pay, title, supervisor, etc)
• Maintains electronic job description files for exempt and non-exempt staff.
• Maintains official personnel files for exempt and non-exempt staff and assures files are in compliance and contain only official and appropriate information.
• Develops and maintains detailed procedures respective to the position.
• Contributes to the success of the Office of Human Resources by providing information about human resources policy and procedure, acting as a backup for other positions as needed, working cooperatively with other departments and performing other duties as assigned.
• Participation in training efforts, as necessary and appropriate.
• Works with supervisor to develop specific goals that support Utica College’s operational plans. This is done at least annually through the annual performance evaluation process, however review of goals will occur throughout the year.
• Responsible for working with supervisor and other team members to achieve successful results on all established individual and departmental goals and key performance indicators. • Responsible for the weekly PPW/PAF process from the time the paperwork is received by the Office of Human Resources through the follow-up after the PPW/PAFs are signed by the President’s Cabinet. • Upon leadership approval of preliminary position worksheet, notifies requestor of position approval and next steps in the process. • Responds to general inquiries regarding employment opportunities by applicants in person, in writing, online, and on the telephone. • Administers skills assessment tests for support staff as part of the hiring process as needed.
Other duties: • Monitors departmental budgets and ensures the appropriate budget handlers are notified of any issues. • Assists with special projects such as open enrollment, coordination of recruitment fair activity, wellness initiatives, new hire orientation, and more.
Education & Experience Qualifications
• Associate degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience required; Bachelor degree in human resources or a related field preferred. • Technical knowledge and experience in the human resources function desirable especially recruitment. • Working knowledge of Banner system and applicant tracking systems strongly preferred.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to organize information and prioritize tasks and deal appropriately with confidential and sensitive information.
• Excellent customer service skills required.
• A strong commitment to diversity and work continually to enhance diversity of our students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to work well in a “team-centered”, fast-paced, heavy workload environment.
• Competency in Micro Soft products including Word and Excel required.
• Strong basic math skills necessary. • Strong analytical and research skills a must • Must be able to work flexible hours if necessary.
Utica College is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, age, domestic violence victim status, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Letter of Reference #1
Other Document #1
Other Document #2